Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Movie Reviews

O' BROTHER WHERE ART THOU?

Visually, this was a very impressive movie. The story takes place in Mississippi during the depression. All of the frames were color corrected to set the appropriate feel for the movie, most of them being greatly desaturated to remove the green of the landscapes that were recorded and turn them into sepia tones. The story is a surprisingly hopeful one filled with up beat songs you can't help but sing along to. I give the movie an overall 4/5 stars.

This is one of my favorite scenes from the movie. I think it also does a great job showing the masterful work that the cinematographer put into the film.





I AM CUBA

Fantastic film. I'm still in awe of how much work was put into it. I think the director, Mikheil Kalatozishvili, did a fabulous job. The camera work is impressive by any film making standard, in any era, even today. The camera moved in and out, up and down, side to side in ways that you don't commonly see in movies. I'm blown away at how much thought was combined along with the acting. The film really is a flawless experience for the viewer. The only thing I didn't like about the film were russian voices flooding over the spanish and english subtitles attempting to go along with it all. It made it hard to follow at times. Overall though, I give this movie 4/5.

The rooftop scene:




PECKER

Starring Edward Furlong as Pecker, the movie takes place in the small-town Hampden, Baltimore. The world is Pecker's playground and inspiration for all his photographs and to Pecker, every moment is a photo opportunity. He takes photos with his old 35mm camera everywhere he goes, like as if the only way to live life is frame-by-frame.

I like the story line but mostly feel that this film is overrated. I thought it was awkward, corny and completely un-realistic most of the time. Maybe it was intended to be that way... but it just wasn't my type of movie. It gets two stars out of five from me, one for Pecker's little sister snorting peas up her nose at the end of it and the other for it being a fairly good reminder that every moment is a "Kodak" moment.

4 comments:

Paolo Porquez said...

I think the whole movie was filled with kodak pecker moments...
Hey i thought you were going to post the lyrics of the song about the soggy bottom boys... hehe

Dylan Walker said...

I totally agree that I am Cuba was hard to follow at times with the whole three different languages happening at once thing. The camera work on the other hand was flawless.

AmandaO said...

Great reviews! I love that you attached video clips! :D

... said...

Oh Brother Where Art Thou...wonderful. I totally could have sung along to it. But I wasn't alone in the DT room. I think they might have kicked me out!