Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Let's get this blog ball rolling!



Hi Everyone, Carly here
This is my first entry and so I'll tell you some things about myself so we can get to know each other a little better. I'm 21 years old (the big two two in a couple weeks) and I've lived in Winnipeg all my life. I became interested in photography when I was little looking through my dad's photo's and slides. There were thousands of them and I spent endless hours looking through his albums and holding up the negatives to the light to see the images clearer. My dad had his long elaborate (he can really talk an ear off) stories and for a little person I had incredible patience. I was fascinated by all the places he had been and what he had seen. Soon after my parents bought me my first film camera. It was a minolta and nothing special really but something to start off on. I took pictures literally everywhere I went and it became my little hobby. From then on and through junior high and high school photography remained one of my favorite hobbies but nothing more than that. Near graduation I thought seriously about persuing a career in photography but instead tried a year at Red River in Technical Communications (which I later discovered was actually one of the most boring careers possible for my personality - most technical communicators end up in a cubicle writing manuals and other extremely disinteresting things) and one year at U of M. After the two years I realized that I was still in the same place... I knew I had an interest in Biology but couldn't see myself making a career out of it... and I really liked taking pictures. So I looked into local photography schools and found Prairie View. I really liked how PV was exclusively a learning environment for Photographers and everyone was really friendly and welcoming when I came for my interview. I was extremely pleased when I found out that I had been accepted! I'm very excited about the program and looking forward to learning all I can but specifically about the darkroom, portrait photography and HDR.

7 comments:

HEATHER said...

its true everyone is super friendly here :)

Tiffany-Lynne said...

From technical communication to Photography, I think you made the right choice =)

... said...

Thanks for telling us about you!

cara said...

Carly, I'm glad you found out early that your Red River program would lead you to a boring career. I spent 5 years at U of M only to end up with a job where I wrote boring investment reports. barf. We're going to have way more fun this year!

Mitch Asham said...

Yay! A fellow winnipeg lifer! You sound a lot like me, I spent 2 years taking business at the U of M until I found PV. It seems like the people here...just aren't quite built for 'regular' schooling.

-Mitch

Nadine said...

I think I would die of boredom in a job like that! I'm looking forward to getting to know you better this year.

Mitch Asham said...

HDR's are a lot of fun, I love 'em. I try my hardest to shoot all of my HDR's using a tripod, and using the cameras auto exposure bracketing (AEB). I'm a big fan of Photomatix for the processing (which apparently prairieview likes too). I've tried some HDR's in Photoshop CS3, it works, but it doesn't always give the extreme HDR look that some people are after. Photomatix is really simple in that it's mostly just playing with the tonemapping until you get the look you want. I'll most likely be throwing in an HDR with that assignment blog post so it should be up in a day or two!