Sunday, September 28, 2008

IS3 - Underwater Photography



I would love to learn more about underwater photography. When I was in Hawaii with my family a couple years ago I took a bunch of pictures at Molokini island, turtle bay and Hanuama Bay while snorkeling. I loved diving down deep and trying to get the brightest ones - it was a real challenge since we were only snorkeling and not scuba diving, meaning we had a very limited air supply. The pictures didn't turn out the greatest however because I was only using underwater disposable cameras with very little flash. I'm really interested in learning all challenges to underwater photography. It seems like an art in itself!

Here are a few websites that caught my eye:

www.frazierproductions.com (really neat - takes underwater fashion too)
http://seethesea.free.fr/index.php
www.flickr.com/photos/26996819@NO8/sets/72157606178745688/


A few photos from the sites I found:

http://www.frazierproductions.com/portfolios/8-/images/55
I really like this photo because it was unlike any other fashion photographs I have ever seen. The photographer takes pictures of models, fully clothed and with makeup... underwater. I really like the composition in the pictures as well. There's a lot of reflection of the water's surface and it makes for some pretty cool effects.


http://www.earthshots.org/2007/08/tompot-blenny-by-thomas-vignaud/
This is an excellent picture of a Parablennius gattorugine, commonly called a "tompot blenny". I'm not actually sure what that means exactly but it looks like a fish that camoflauges into corral at times. I love the detail of the picture and how vivid the colors are. Great compostion and the photographer really told the story by isolating the fish and having it blend into it's surroundings.


http://www.flickr.com/photos/26996819@N08/2520792234/in/set-72157606178745688/
This last photograph is by a man named Macro Waagmeester. Out of all the underwater and ocean photography I found, his was the most interesting. This picture is of a pink anemonefish and I love how bright and colorful it is. The lighting is great and he did a great job catching the picture.

No comments: